4.22.2011

Making the Base

I want to make the base so that it matches the aesthetics of the face porthole. I had a look around the workshop and found some left over tread plate.
This piece of plate was long enough but slightly too small in width, so using the plasma cutter and welder I was able to re-adjust the dimensions to accommodate the shape I needed.(below is the plate roughly being cut to size.)

Below: I set about making a paper template using basic photoshop and mathematics so that I could check the sizing against the sculpture. I also used this template to mark out the exact points at which to drill my bolt holes.

Above: This is the steel plate being drilled. you can just about make out the centre point of the steel, the circle in the middle shows where I will cut away the excess metal to reduce weight and to give me access to the inside of the sculpture at a later date.
These pictures above show the details that I have cut into the plate to help to bring the base and body together aesthetically.
The base plate.

1 comment: